Thursday, December 8, 2011

We Have Power

Since the cabin is about a mile from the nearest electrical pole, I made the decision to power the cabin with a generator.  Yeah, this may be a bit costly but I want power and to be honest I don't want to rough it that much.  I purchased a 20K watt Cummins Onan generator for my primary power.  When choosing a generator I needed two things. First, it had to be quiet.  Cummins makes the quietest generator in the market and I was surprised on how quiet it really was.  The generator is no louder than an air conditioner compressor on the outside of most houses.  The second requirement was to have the ability to turn the generator on/off from inside the cabin.  This particular unit has a display panel that I ran a wiring harness from the generator to the house.  Since the unit will consume a lot a fuel when the load is heavy I decided to use a 500 gallon propane tank to supply the interior appliances and the generator.

The generator directly supplies power to a 100amp service panel where all of the house circuits will be connected.  A transfer switch is not needed in this implementation since I cannot back the public utility systems being off grid already.

Propane tank set and conduit run.


Trenching
 
Electrical service wire from generator to service panel

Cummins Onan Generator

Add caption



Goes into house to the services panel



No comments:

Post a Comment